Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's Movie Time!

I fear that I have been neglecting the whole movie aspect of this blog, I am ashamed to say. The truth is I don't trust my film writing. Five years of school and 5 more years of working in the industry and I just don't trust myself. Well no more!

I have decided to do something about this because this is really getting ridiculous.I am grabbing the bull by the horns and giving myself a little project. You know the AFI 100 Years...100 Movies list? The first list came out in 1998 and they had a t.v. special where actors and directors talked about the films on the list. It has been updated since then, some films have been removed, other added, some simply just moved around. I figured I would start with what I know best, American cinema. I have interest and know about lots of different international cinemas but I would say most of my knowledge is rooted in American cinema. So the project goes like this: I countdown on the AFI list (2007 not 1998)and take one film each week. I will watch it on the weekend and take a week to write my review, thoughts, and perceptions of the film. I may choose to write a straight forward critique in some cases but in other cases I may take a specific theme, plot point, concept, theory, or social criticism of the film and focus on that.

I have looked at the list and I have actually seen over half of the films on the list. If I have seen it I will re-watch the film and write about it. Some I rather not re-watch but for the sake of the project I will.

The first film that I will be writing about is the last film on the 2007 list is....Drum roll please.... Ben-Hur (1959). Oh great, a 212 minute film. Way to start of the project, Gwen. Ok, I can't turn back. I have to hold myself accountable. I hope I don't $%*& this one up.

2 comments:

  1. Ben-Hur is one of my favorites. Spartacus too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spartacus is on the list too! I have seen Ben-Hur before but I don't recall seeing Spartacus but I may have seen it when you did but I was just too young to remember.

    ReplyDelete